Church of the Good Shepherd
St. James Episcopal School was founded as an outreach of the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd in 1946. From its earliest days, the cornerstone of the School’s educational philosophy has been based on its strong Christian foundation through the Episcopal heritage. Our motto, “Think, Believe, Become,” reflects this emphasis, reminding us that what we believe is at the center of how we think and who we become.
The Church of the Good Shepherd takes an active role in the leadership and mission of the School, with the Rector serving on the Board of Trustees. Additionally, the School shares much of its campus with the Church, including classrooms, dining facilities, the gymnasium and playgrounds. The Church provides a number of scholarships for St. James scholars, as well as financial and facility support. On any given school day, visitors to the school can see children learning, playing and worshiping at the Church. Chapel Services are held in the Sanctuary, where the tenets of our Christian faith and Episcopal heritage are shared. Students in all grade levels attend age appropriate Spiritual Formation Classes which undergird our common mission with the Church.
There are multiple overlapping opportunities for ministry and Christian growth between the School and the Church, for scholars and families. From bible studies, Moms in Prayer, Youth Group, Christmas Pageants, and more, we consider our partnership with the Church of the Good Shepherd one of our great assets, strengthening our mission to grow each child in grace, freedom and knowledge.
Be sure to visit Church of the Good Shepherd’s website for more information.